School Assemblies: Lighten-Up!
Lighten Up! addresses the problem of childhood obesity. It is a highly interactive, 50-minute musical show designed to help children, in grades K-6, learn the value of exercise and good nutrition. The show deals with the serious problems of excess weight and obesity in an entertaining and totally non-threatening way. Children are encouraged to develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviors needed to make health-enhancing choices. In every musical number, the kids participate, by answering questions, volunteering, and moving along with Slim.
What are the program objectives?
Lighten Up! is designed to help students:
- Understand the benefits of good nutrition
- How to make better food choices
- Understand the body's need for physical activity
- Become smarter consumers
- Attain competencies related to national education standards
Students Learn About:
- The USDA's food guide, ChooseMyPlate
- Nutrition and how different kinds of foods affect the body
- Junk food and why too much sugar and fat is harmful to health
- How advertisers influence our food choices
- The proper balance of calories in to calories out
- Portion size and how it affects issues of obesity
- Decision making and goal setting
Presentation of Information:
Lighten Up! engages student's attention through the use of:
- Original Music
- Loads of audience participation
- 3d movie projections
- Astounding and diverse visuals