National Tour: Lighten-Up!
Lighten Up! addresses the problem of childhood obesity. It is a highly interactive, 50-minute musical show designed to help children, in grades K-6, learn the value of exercise and good nutrition. The show deals with the serious problems of excess weight and obesity in an entertaining and totally non-threatening way. Children are encouraged to develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviors needed to make health-enhancing choices. In every musical number, the kids participate, by answering questions, volunteering, and moving along with Slim.
The show is:
- Understand the benefits of good nutrition
- How to make better food choices
- Understand the body's need for physical activity
- Become smarter consumers
- Attain competencies related to national education standards
- Choose MyPlate the USDA's food guide
- Nutrition and how different kinds of foods affect the body
- Junk food and why too much sugar and fat is harmful to health
- Media Literacy and how advertisers influence our food choices
- Calories In and Calories Out and finding the proper balance
- Portion size and how it affects issues of obesity
- Decision making and goal setting
How is the information presented?Lighten Up! relies on five basic program components:
- Original Music
- Audience Involvement
- Large Screen projections of astounding and diverse visuals
- Slim's incredible rapport with student audiences
- Relevant, exciting content
How is Lighten-Up cross-curricular?
In addition to the health sciences, Bodyology weaves together language arts, history, math, physical education and geography.This is done through:
- Story telling
- New vocabulary and word derivations
- Video re-enactments of historic medical discoveries
- Mathematical calculations involving cell division, heart rate, reaction speed, daily food requirements, etc.
- Audience fitness challenges
How is Lighten Up! Standards-Based?
We have correlated Bodyology to all state standards and will be happy to provide state specific correlations upon request. The chart below is meant to serve as a general over-view of the standards addressed.Lighten Up! Standards Correlations:
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
- Physical Education
- Arts: Dance
- Arts: Music
- Arts: Theatre
- Arts: Visual Arts